Tuesday, January 27, 2015

42

Long time - No write.  I think that's just how it's going to be around here.  It's a reflection of the ebb and flow of my life, I guess.

So I will be 42 on Thursday.  Very strange.  Sometimes I feel like a 40 something year old woman, and other times, not at all.  My face and my metabolism definitely feel it.  Oh the wrinkles and sun spots.  Oh the 7 lbs that I can't seem to get rid of (I know, it could be worse).  But I continue to fight the fight.  Still doing the Weight Watchers thing, still keeping up with my cardio and weight training and yoga and barre and anything else that suits me.  Stepping up the skin care regimen, using a retinoid serum regularly as well as a good (read expensive) moisturizer.  Trying to make an effort every day with my appearance, it helps me not feel so dull and worn out, I guess.  I went a little darker with my hair this Fall/Winter.  I was, perhaps, too blond over the Summer.  The darker color is good, but boy do the wiry grey hairs pop through more.  Have to see if there is some happy medium next time I'm in the salon chair.

Hubby asked me what I wanted for my birthday recently.  I said nothing, just a nice dinner, we've spent enough $ the last few months (Christmas, Bubby's BDay).  Then I proceeded to buy these for myself online yesterday:


 

 

The yoga mat is somewhat of a necessity as my current mat is starting to fall apart AND I slip on it.  I have one of those hot yoga towels, but it just gets in the way.  Anyway, hoping that spending a bit more will help with the slippage and maybe offer a little more cushioning.  Another result of getting older, I've been having problems with my shoulders and neck.  I think I tweaked something in Body Pump a week ago and have been dealing with stiffness, lack of mobility and headaches.  Trying to do more yoga for a while to loosen up and making Hubby give me massages each night.
 


I enjoyed two weeks of vacation during the holidays.  I didn't do much but relax and read and it was BLISS.  I haven't done that in a LONG time.  I had hoped to read maybe one or two books over the break, well I managed to read a heck of a lot more than that (and have read a few more since getting back to the work/school routine).  Here are some goodies that I enjoyed:
 
The Lucky Harbor Series by Jill Shalvis.  If you like easy - fun contemporary romance novels with a bit of baum chica bau bau, these are perfect!
 
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty.  This is the third or fourth book by Liane Moriarty that I have read and I really enjoy her stuff.  I would compare her to Jennifer Weiner and Jane Green.
 
The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain.  I saw this book reviewed in a magazine and decided to give it a shot.  It was very good, sort of a family drama/mystery.
 
Other Random notes:  Hubby and I watched This Is Where I Leave You (Jane Fonda and Jason Bateman) the other night - SO GOOD.  I am enjoying this season of Downton Abbey much more than I did last season, it has been worth staying up late for on Sunday evenings.  I am anxiously awaiting the return of Outlander (STARZ) in April.  Not sure how I am going to handle the second half of the season as I know what awaits and have a feeling that STARZ will deliver the entire story in all its disturbing details (not gonna say more than that - read the book!), but I did really enjoy the first part of the season, amazingly STARZ has done a good job with this one.
 
That is about it around these parts.  We're experiencing some very unseasonably high temps here in Colorado right now (high 60s) while the east coast is getting slammed by Winter.  I'm loving it and know how annoyed I will be when Winter returns (as it will, it always does).  I want to wear that skirt (above) and exercise outside again.  Football season is sadly over (my Broncos had a disappointing season) and that opens up our Sunday afternoons.  Our Saturday afternoons will soon be spent travelling to soccer games again, so I guess I should enjoy the freedom that cold temperatures bring while I can ...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment