Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Royal Wedding - Who Cares?

Um, I do!  So last Friday I noticed a post on a friend's Facebook Wall basically saying that she didn't care about The Royal Wedding and anyone who did was silly.  This is actually someone that I went to grad school with and I have very limited contact with her anymore ... so we aren't really close friends ... and even if we were, she's obviously entitled to her opinion.  However, it got me thinking ... why do I care?  It actually made me feel a little defensive (my own issue, I know).

To clarify ... I did not get up in the middle of the night to watch the wedding, I haven't followed the pair for years, I'm not obsessed BUT I did watch the Lifetime movie about their courtship and I did watch the morning show highlights last Friday morning.  So, why?  First, I'm a romantic.  I'm a girly girl.  I like pretty clothes, I like hats (oh the hats!), I like handsome men in suits and pretty women in dresses.  Second, I'm a history buff.  I like the pomp and circumstance, I like the military uniforms, I like the historical commentary, fun stuff!  Finally, I get sick of all the doom and gloom on tv, in the papers, on the net, etc.  Now, I'm a fairly well educated individual, I keep up on current events, I don't bury my head in the sand and only concern myself with my small piece of the pie.  I have a general sense of what is happening in the world at any given time and I feel that is important.  BUT ... sometimes I just want to laugh and smile.  I just want to be entertained.  I love romantic comedies, I like Jane Austen, I like people.com and I like chicklit.  This girl, sometimes, just wants to have fun!  So, I guess my Facebook friend can judge all she wants, I have enjoyed the break that the new Duke and Duchess have provided.  Oh and one more thing ... PRINCE HARRY.  Um, duh.  HELLO!

No comments:

Post a Comment