Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Jonesing, Jonesing and More Jonesing

I just saw a headline ... something like, "Is Coffee Bad for You or What?".  The other day I listened to talk radio as I was driving and the topic was addictions ... not like serious addictions (although one woman's use of Afrin would qualify, IMO) but stuff that you would struggle to give up.  So I guess all this got me a thinkin ... what would I find hard to give up?

Coffee.  Yep, that would be me.  I'm that person.  I don't drink coffee all day/every day, I'm not that bad, but I have to have my morning java.  Currently I'm at 2 cups at home and possibly another cup at some point during my day.  That is a lot for me.  A few years ago I was down to 2 cups a week but since losing the weight, my stomach seems to tolerate more and thus I drink more.  BECAUSE I LOVE IT.  The smell, the taste, the variation.  I love me some grind.

Coke.  Soda, pop, cola.  Whatever you call it, I am addicted.  And I know how bad it is for me!  I know!  I have cut back though, the coffee and the Coke have done a switcharoo ... I'm down to a few Cokes a week (diet) and I don't keep it in the house.  I'm giving myself points here, people ... I could drink it all day.  Nasty, I know.

Nail Polish.  So you see, it's not just caffeinated beverages.  I have a huge bag of nail polish in my linen closet and every time Hubby sees that I've purchased another bottle I hear, "Don't you already have that color?"  ... um, no, this one is different!  Duh.  I could spend hours at ULTA looking at the OPI rack.  Could and Have Done.

Books.  Hey, this is one to be proud of!  I have to read.  If I don't have a current read plus a few waiting, it throws me off.  This happened not too long ago and it was weird.  My reading compulsion started at a young age ... maybe 3rd grade.  Laura Ingalls Wilder, Judy Blum and Francine Pascal (Sweet Valley High) get all the credit.  I can remember bi-weekly trips to the public library growing up.  Before I could drive myself, my dad grumbled as he was usually the chauffeur ... geesh, dad, it's not like I was asking you to drive me to my bookie or dealer!  LOL 

Series TV on Netflix.  Remember that writer's strike a few years back?  Well, guess what?  It completely screwed me over for regular tv consumption.  With the exception of a few shows (Smallville!  Hot in Cleveland!) I rarely watch prime time tv.  Can't be bothered and too darn busy.  What I do - do is watch series tv on Netflix.  We are cheap and thus, don't get BBC America, HBO or Showtime.  Plus, again, prime time tv.  My current fave is The Big C starring Laura Linney (fantastic!).  I also like The United States of Tara (Showtime) and MI-5 or Spooks (BBC America).  Like.  Crack.

Ok, so there are some of my vices.  Nothing too heinous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment