Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Weird Sisters ... Or My Family ...

I recently finished a fabulous book ... The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown.  I think it was another random pick that worked out quite nicely.  It is the story of three sisters that manage to wind up back in their childhood home living together - with their parents - for different reasons but with the mutual job of caring for their sick mother.  The front cover says something like We love each other, We just don't happen to like each other.  Um, I know the feeling!  Anyway, this is a great book about families, siblings - sisters in particular and functional dysfunction.  I discovered after reading the book that Brown lives in Colorado, not too far from me, and has had several speaking engagements that - had I read the book sooner - I might have been able to attend.  She will definitely go on my Must Read list and hopefully I can catch her in the future.


This story got me thinking about my own sisters.  I have two older and one younger.  My older sisters are 12 and 10 years older, my little sister is 2 years younger.  I am very close to my little sister but not close to (I would say estranged from) my older sisters.  Long.  Story.  Another time, another post, perhaps.  The Weird Sisters also made me think, again, about my son.  My only child.  To give or not to give him a sibling was big on the consideration list when we were struggling with the thought of another baby.  Ultimately we decided that it wasn't enough of a reason ... that it didn't override our reasons for sticking with one child.  To each their own ...

No comments:

Post a Comment