Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I Just Can't Be Bothered!

My sister in-law says this a lot ... I just can't be bothered with this or that or her or him.  The first time or two that I heard her say it, it struck me as a bit cold or harsh.  Fast-Forward a few years later and I am RIGHT THERE with her.  Not sure what is happening in me right now (chemically, emotionally, mentally) but I just can't be bothered by much.  Other people are exhausting, truth be told, and I just want to hide out.  This too will pass, I am sure.

So!  That is what I did this past weekend.  With the exception of a few hours spent with some friends Saturday night, I was wonderfully anti-social for 48 hours and it was fabulous.  I baked some great Pumpkin Cranberry Bread (recipe below) and I did some holiday shopping (check out Pier 1) and I watched the latest version of Jane Eyre (Mia Wasikowska's Jane was superb) and my old faithful Love Actually (maybe the best contemporary holiday movie!).  Yeah, me.  Hubby and Bubby spent a lot of time attending or watching sporting events and I was fine with that.  I love this age!  Yeah, boys!

Anyway, hopefully the mood will lift and other people's bs will cease sending me into seclusion.  LOL  I'm sure my bs does the same for others.  I guess that's life.  Meanwhile I plan to keep eating this stuff by the large chunks ...

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

1 can (15 oz) canned pumpkin
1 can (15 oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup orange juice
3 cups whole wheat (all purpose) flour
2 cups sugar
5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or roughly same amount of cinnamon, allspice, ginger and nutmeg combo)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 and spray either 3 small loaf pans of two large loaf pans with cooking spray.  Mix flour, spices, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.  Mix pumpkin, eggs, oil, applesauce, oj and sugar in a separate bowl.  Add wet to dry and mix until completely moist, then add cranberry sauce.  Spoon into loaf pans and bake for 55 minutes and then test ... most likely you will bake for 65 to 70 minutes total.  Cool on wire rack and wrap with aluminum foil while warm to keep bread moist.

SO GOOD!  Btw, this is my version of this recipe ... I've cut down on the sugar and oil and added the applesauce as well as switched to the cranberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment