Friday, March 16, 2012

Good Stuff!

I've read some good stuff in the past few months!


What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty!
This is actually my Book Club's book for April, I just happen to have read it a few weeks back.  So Good!  Alice wakes up on the floor of a Spin Class, she's in a total panic because she's pregnant so wtf is she doing in a spin class and why is she suddenly so darn thin and why are these strangers talking to her like they know her?  Oh, wait ... it is 10 years later and she has no clue what is going on in her life!  So, notsuch a new concept for a book, huh?  Well somehow Moriarty managed to put a new spin on it, I was hooked from the start.  I laughed, I cried, I was a total cliche.  Read This Book!



The Book Thief by Markus Zusak!
This was a NY Times Bestseller several years back and I vaguely remember the hooplah surrounding it.  Not sure why it took me so long to come across this one, it is right up my alley.  It is the story of a young German girl who is sent to live in rural Germany during WWII.  However, the story isn't narrated by her ... it is narrated by Death.  You read that right, Death is the narrator of this book.  What a genius idea!  Major kudos to Zusak, what a different spin on a much written about and serious subject ... also a great look into how the Nazi agenda affected common Germans at the time.



Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale!
Sometimes a girl just wants to have fun (this one, anyway).  Whenever I'm between heavy reads and just looking for something entertaining, I search out anything chicklit and Jane Austen related.  Shannon Hale is a great author for this type of read and I have picked up a few of her books recently.  Midnight in Austenland is a silly and lighthearted tale of Charlotte Kinder ... a divorced single mom who totally needs a vacation.  She is a recent Jane Austen fan (having chalked Austen up as fluff in the past) and finds herself flying across the pond to take part in a Regency House-Type Adventure.  Much hilarity, some mystery and quite a little bit of romance ensue.  This was a great Sunday afternoon read.

Currently I'm between reads and since Hubby and Bubby are ditching me this Saturday to go watch grown men slam each other around with hockey sticks, I plan to peruse the aisles at Barnes and Noble ... I think I deserve a good book!


All book pics courtesy of Amazon.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment